My Favorite Family Traditions
Part of what I love about my family is that we have some fun traditions that we've continued over the years. Here are some of my favorites that I plan to continue with my own children...
- Birthday Morning Videos
- On everyone's birthday, my mom (and dad if he's not working) and the rest of the kids wake up the birthday child by singing "Happy Birthday" and videotaping the fun.
- Christmas Eve Pajamas and Story Time
- Every Christmas Eve, my mom gifts new pajamas to each of us. We also snuggle together to read "The Night Before Christmas." Over the past few years, we've also added a reading of my book, "A Christmas For Toys."
- Lunchbox Notes
- Every year, on the first day of school, my mom puts a little note in everyone's lunchbox to wish them well. She sometimes does this for other occasions too, like birthdays, or for no reason at all. A while back, she surprised me with a note that I found on break at work... I've kept it in my lunchbox since.
- Hanukkah Blessings
- Since we celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah, we only do gifts on the first and last nights of Hanukkah. We light the menorah every night though, and on the first night, my dad always puts on his yarmulke and says the special prayer. I can't read Hebrew so I won't be able to say the prayer like my dad, but I can't wait to teach my children the traditions of both of my parents' religions.